The “INTER-AGENCY COMMITTEE ON EXTRA-LEGAL KILLINGS, ENFORCED DISAPPEARANCES, TORTURE AND OTHER GRAVE VIOLATIONS TO THE RIGHTS TO LIFE, LIBERTY AND SECURITY OF PERSONS” (IAC)
The Inter-Agency Committee On Extra-Legal Killings, Enforced Disappearances, Torture and Other Grave Violations of the Right to Life, Liberty and Security of Persons (IAC) was created under Administrative Order No. 35 (series of 2012).
The IAC is chaired by the Secretary of Justice with the following members:
- Chairperson, Presidential Human Rights Committee (PHRCP)
- Secretary, Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG)
- Secretary, Department of National Defense (DND)
- Presidential Adviser for Political Affairs (PAPA)
- Chief of Staff of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP)
- Director General of the Philippine National Police (PNP)
- Director of the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI)
The Ombudsman, CHR and DFA participate as independent observers of the IAC.
The IAC is supported by a Technical Working Group (TWG) and a Secretariat composed of representatives of the IAC member-agencies. The TWG serves as the central support system of the IAC in rationalizing its focus and in providing recommendations in the handling of AO 35 cases. The Secretariat on the other hand, provides coordinative, data management, and service support to the IAC and the TWG.
To serve as the government’s institutional machinery dedicated to the resolution of unsolved cases of political violence in the form of extra-legal killings (ELK), enforced disappearances (ED), torture and other grave violations of the right to life, liberty and security of persons.
Powers & Functions:
- Inventory of all cases of ELK’s, ED, torture and other grave violations of the right to life, liberty and security of persons perpetrated by both state and non-state agents, from all government offices as well as non-government sources (independent and non-partisan international and national human rights organizations and groups);
- Classify the cases into: unsolved, under investigation, under preliminary investigation, and under trial;
- Prioritize unsolved cases for action by assigning Special Investigation Teams (SIT) composed of prosecutors and investigators, in order to conduct further investigation for the possible identification of perpetrators; and
- Designate and mobilize SIT’s for the various AO35 cases for the immediate investigation and prosecution of the perpetrators; and
- Monitor the progress of all inventoried cases and maintain an updated database of the same.
GINO PAOLO S. SANTIAGO
Assistant State Prosecutor
Head, AO35 Technical Working Group
Email Address : [email protected]
Office Address : 3F Forum Building, Padre Faura, Ermita, Manila
Telephone : 8524-5936
Trunkline : 8523-8481 loc. 243